yes, but is there anything that can be done to improve sex drive in women w/ PD?  testosterone maybe? or is it just life...

________________________________
From: Ansa Ojanlatva <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:00:00 AM
Subject: Re: Loss of sex drive in PD

I am glad this information is sent around but the brief abstract really is more depressing than beneficial. There is so little good information on sexual issues that explanations should include more than the single sentence of outcome. "We" need to understand that in additon to genders there are at least two different kinds of people to consider from the start. Most PD patients are older while there is a small group of individuals receiving the diagnosis when they are young. Age factors in.

Also at this point, e.g. the level of testosterone would need to be known (in both genders) and tested before conclusions are made since it is one of the factors influencing sexual desire and it is not taken into account. Women's sexuality is more complex than that of men and it is rarely taken into account when the findings are discusses. Women tend to react with their whole bodies more than men. The problem is complicated by the strange notion that sexual issues may be less important to women. It may be that the need for orgasm becomes slightly less urgent with age but it does not disappear. A group of older women made a suggestion at an American university a year or two ago that the availability of younger men could be beneficial... They directly suggested that 40-50-year old men might suit women 10-20-years their senior. We know that younger people are more equal minded in general and satisfaction may be easier to obtain. A little reverse
 'psychology' you know.

The sexual issues caused by medication are a chapter in itself. In my estimation, well planned medication can bring out the motivation of 'youth' so to speak. In PD, it may need to be assisted a bit. More importantly, more physicians are needed who understand the role of sexuality in people's lives.  Generally, when one has been active in earlier years, it will be true later. Women may be able to recover easier; men should perhaps seek help earlier when problems occur. Problems understandably occur when partners are at different need levels.

Ansa Ojanlatva, PhD, CHES (ret.)
Docent, Health and Sexuality Education

Authorized Sexuality Educator and Sexual Health Promotor (NACS),
Authorized in Sexual Science (NACS)

Sanitas 3rd floor
Lemminkäisenkatu 1
20014 University of Turku, Finland

mobile +358-400-823 816
tel +358-2-333 8515
fax +358-2-333 8439

Please use the mobile phone number for calling.