At least in Georgia (and probably in other states) two persons who know an individual can sign statements when a person is known to them to be (1) mentally ill, and (2) a danger to self or others, which authorizes he sheriff to take the person to an Emergency Receiving Facility involuntarily for up to 5 days for a mental evaluation. If two doctors agree, the involuntary commitment (in Georgia) may be extended up to six months. The patient has a right to a court hearing if requested. A drastic measure? Maybe, but when I was a director of psychiatry, I knew it to have saved lives.

Dan A. McRight