Ray, rigid thinking has nothing to do with attitude.  One PWP insisted on
working with his circular saw even though he had almost injured himself
badly.  He refused to believe that he wasn't capable of working with
dangerous tools.  My own husband believed that he could get up and walk on
his own even though he fell every time he attempted to.  To the day he died
he insisted that he could leave the house to visit the neighbors - alone.

That is the rigid thinking I was referring to - the kind of thinking that
disregards safety or the suggestion (as in the case of the PWP who is
depressed) that treatment or safety measures are necessary.
Mary Ann