This is not an advertisement.

I have had difficulties with constipation. When you consider that to pass a
motion, the Central Nervous System (CNS) has to send a complex series of
messages to the rectum and subsidiary tissue in the correct sequence, and that
PD is very good at ruining the flow of signals to smooth muscle (e.g. intestinal
wall) as well as to striated muscle (e.g. leg muscles), it is no wonder that
constipation is an ongoing concern for people with PD.

I have been prescribed a very good aid by my G.P. I won't mention the brand
name, and I have no commercial interests in the product.

This product recognises that to effectively treat constipation in PD, you need
both a purgative to stimulate evacuation, combined with a faecal softener to
facilitate movement. This product has both, and is rather more gentle than
proprietary products I have tried.

This product contains Macrogol, which is the International Non-proprietary Name
(INN) for polyethylene glycol. It also contains sodium chloride, sodium
bicarbonate, and  potassium chloride, to maintain a correct balance of
electrolytic salts  in the system. It also contains potassium acesulfame, a
calorie-free sweetener. It comes as a powder in a 13.8g sachet, which is
dissolved in 125 mL of water.

Dosage is 1 to 3 sachets daily, as required. Supply is on doctor's prescription
only. It can be used to cure faecal impaction as diagnosed by a doctor, at up to
8 sachets in one day. Works for me.

Jim
NB:This is not a medical recommendation, but only the opinion of the writer.
Persons should not change their medication regimen without first consulting
their personal physician.