From: [log in to unmask]
Date: 8/22/2009 11:00:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PARKINSN Digest - 18 Aug 2009 to 19 Aug 2009 - Special issue
(#2009-271)

Hi there --- I am a 70 yr old Anesthesiogist who  has spent
much effort during the past few years in a perersonal  and
Intense but largely ineffective  battle against what was called
Parkinson's Disease.

Despite years of research there has been limited improvement
in the long term control of disability.  There  is unrelenting
progression of motor and cognitive dysfunction.  The result  has been
failure of efforts to block the extention of neurologic cellular
dysfunctioln.
Often areas of the CNS were  undergoing destruction  of cells
which had lost the ability repair damaged cells.   Therefore--it makes sense
to use a name that reflects more of the  pathophysiolgy
of  all elements of the disease.

eg   Dopamine Deficiency Disease. The result would have
been  the discovery that there were two basic disease
templates: The larger and dominant one would  continue
to develop complex neuropathological  models using  techniques
developed in the  "nanolabs"  of the future (eg  bradykinesia,
rigidity, speech and  visual distortion).

To make the process effective we need more support  and
  recognition of the  true nature of the  illness.

Kenneth M.Janis, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
Deartment of Anesthesiology
University of New  Mexico