From: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Treatment for constipation in PD
| you don't need pills for constipation - just a regular supply of oranges and a
| good book to pass the time while the fruit gets to work....

I wish that it was that simple. Constipation, like anything else connected with
PD, is a complex condition, with complications not found in other disorders.

The ways in which Parkinson’s disease can increase the risk of constipation
include:

·       Insufficient dopamine – lack of the brain chemical (neurotransmitter)
dopamine impairs muscle movement throughout the body. Bowel muscles can become
slow and rigid.

·       Uncoordinated bowel – the bowel muscles may be weak and unable to
contract or they may clench instead of relax when trying to pass a motion.

·       Eating problems – dietary fibre is indigestible, so it adds bulk to the
bowel motions and prevents constipation. However, if chewing and swallowing are
difficult, a person with Parkinson’s disease is less likely to eat fibrous
foods.

·       Drinking problems – water is needed to plump the dietary fibre in bowel
motions. Swallowing difficulties may discourage the person with Parkinson’s
disease from drinking enough fluids.

·       Sedentary lifestyle – lack of exercise slows the passage of food through
the intestines. Parkinson’s disease reduces muscle control, so lack of exercise
is common.

·       Medications – many different drugs can cause constipation. Medications
used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease (especially anticholinergic drugs)
may slow bowel movements or dampen appetite.

Your doctor may suggest various treatments to help combat constipation,
including:

·       Dietary changes including consuming more fibre and water

·       Moderate exercise

·       Good toilet habits

·       Avoiding unnecessary medicines that contain substances known to cause
constipation such as calcium and aluminium

·       Laxatives

·       An enema – this may be part of the initial treatment

·       Treatment for any medical problem that may be contributing to the
constipation, such as haemorrhoids

Jim

Dr. J. F. Slattery, PhD Soc Sc