Yesterday our Republican club had an informational meeting about the health
care reform bill.  The huge elephant in the room in regard to this bill is
the cost - which cannot be denied. It will bankrupt this nation.

That said, I would like to clarify some misconceptions.

1.    We are *already paying* for the health care of 'illegals' (read:
people).  They flock to emergency room where they cannot be denied.
Emergency rooms are the *most expensive* health care available.  Since those
folks can not pay the bill, we all do - through insurance and hospital
costs.

2.    We are all a heart beat away from becoming Medicaid recipients.  Time
and again I watch the families of my patients deal with the impossible costs
of nursing home care.  Once mom and dad's assets have disappeared because of
the (in excess of) $6000/month cost, the only avenue left is to apply for
Medicaid.

So, if you think you are above those who must receive public assistance,
please think again.  Being in a Medicaid nursing home placement is a
possibility for all of us if our illnesses become protracted.

We do need health care reform - but I think we need to pull back a little to
discover the best way to provide it.
--------
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 68/28 with PD, died 11/20/07)
www.bentwillowfarm.org