hi, i have been meaning to join this discussion but wanted to doublecheck
some things. the article that ray quoted and felt was well researched did
not sit well with me.
even though i left germany 25 yrs ago i thought things could not have
changed that much.
germans cannot switch and choose from over 200 ins. companies. most workers
end up with "aok" allgemeine oeffentliche krankenkasse. the government
mandated premiums to be deducted as of 7-09 from wages are at 14.9%. this is
a SUBSTANTIAL income reduction. this covers only government legislated
benefits, additional insurance coverage to take care of gaps is available
but needs to be paid for. private insurance is available and has
traditionally been obtained by members of the upper middle class. i remember
very well how my mom would complain that private coverage ensured prompt
appointments without a long wait. as a matter of fact, some doctors set
aside blocks of time for just these patients.
while i agree that reforms are necessary i can see plenty of pitfalls with
the one-payer system. so far, any government run program i looked at is cost
prohibitive and proper oversight not obtainable.
as an example,  my husband returned to the hospital after his dbs to run
some additional programming. this involved an overnight stay. the hospital
bill was $1100 but medicare paid over $5000 because the code used for this
service had a payoff much higher than the actual charge. this was 3 yrs ago
and i still can't believe it.
i'm hoping somehow we can come up with a system that will benefit people not
able to obtain insurance but i don't think this should be rushed through or
we will get the same uneven results as seen in the different stimulus
packages at a tremendous cost to us all.
trauti