On the 22nd of July 2009 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) released its biennial
report, Veterans Agent Orange Review Update 2008, to Congress and the
Department of Veterans Affairs.  They reported a positive association between
Parkinson's disease and the herbicides used in Vietnam.  The level of
association was limited or suggestive.  However the this is the same level of
association that have made other diseases service connected for Veterans
who were exposed to these herbicides mainly in Vietnam.

There are some related studies that were not considered by IOM due to their
established publication cut off date.  One study shows that the Dioxin, TCDD,
in Agent Orange impacts the regulation of the dopamine system.

IOM released this report to the public on 24 July 2009.  Secretary Shinseki,
Department of Veterans Affairs,  has said he will release his decision on the
issue of service connection for diseases associated with herbicides in this
report on 22 September 2009.

I want to let Vietnam Veterans know about this pending decision.  I am part of
a group that has worked on this issue over the past two years.  I will post
information on his decision here when he makes it.

Veterans may contact me directly at [log in to unmask]

Alan