(Apologies for cross-listing)

Hello everyone,
We’re currently designing a 4th-year course here at Carleton on the teaching of writing.   The title of the course is “Teaching Writing in School and the Workplace.”  Here’s our working calendar description:
Course description
Approaches to teaching writing in elementary and secondary school, in university, and in the
workplace.  Discussion of writing pedagogies as viewed from socio-cultural perspectives on
language and learning.  The course will be of interest to future and current teachers, workplace
trainers, editors, and writing consultants.
Outcomes
·         Participants will have a broad understanding of current approaches to teaching writing in school (elementary, secondary, university) and workplace.
·         Participants will have had experience applying one of these approaches in at least one school or workplace setting.

With this in mind, we have a couple of questions to ask you:
1)     We would like to pitch the course to students in various departments here at Carleton as a good item to have on a résumé for someone planning to apply for teachers’ college.  But of course we only want to make this claim if it’s reasonable.  Do you think this would be a valid claim for us to make?
2)     Do you know any ‘must-have’ readings that you would recommend?

Thanks very much,
Graham and Natasha

Graham Smart
Associate Professor