From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephanie Hughes
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 9:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Was Burbage's Theatre the first of its kind in Europe?

Thanks Tracey.

Sorry for not being clear.  The point is whether or not these efforts
by Burbage and/or his brother-in-law were the first in Europe.  I
know it's hard to prove a negative, so I guess what I'm asking is
whether anyone knows of any such theaters in other European nations
or of any books or articles that deal with this question. There were
what seem to be similar theaters in Italy, chiefly in Vicenza, but
these were temporary structures, not meant to be permanent as were
the Brayne-Burbage buildings.  So far my rather cursory efforts via
online sources to locate similar theaters in other countries have
come up empty.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks again.

Stephanie