From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of mschild
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 12:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Drivers with Parkinson's disease at higher risk of crashes in low visibility

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Drivers with mild to moderate Parkinson's disease may be at
higher risk of crashes on foggy days and other times of low visibility. The
research, involving a driving simulation test, is published in the October 6,
2009, print issue of Neurology®, the medical journal of the American Academy
of Neurology.

In addition to affecting movement, Parkinson's disease affects visual skills,
such as the ability to see contrast, and the speed of processing what is seen.

The study involved a driving simulation test taken by 67 people with mild to
moderate Parkinson's disease and 51 healthy people about the same age. First
they drove in good conditions, with clear skies. Then they drove in a foggy,
low visibility situation, leading up to an intersection where another vehicle
posed a crash risk.

More people with Parkinson's disease were unable to avoid the crash—76 percent
versus 37 percent. Their reaction time was also longer—2.7 seconds compared to
2.1 seconds. For those who crashed, those with Parkinson's were driving at an
average speed of 49 mph at the time of the crash, compared to 39 mph for those
who did not have Parkinson's.

"Our results suggest that a large proportion of drivers with Parkinson's
disease may be at risk for unsafe driving in low visibility situations such as
fog or twilight," said study author Ergun Uc, MD, of the University of Iowa in
Iowa City and Veterans Affairs Medical Center of Iowa City, who is a member of
the American Academy of Neurology.

Those with Parkinson's also had more instances where the car's wheels crossed
over the center line or the shoulder line than people who did not have
Parkinson's, and their performance worsened with the change from good to poor
driving conditions.

Among those with Parkinson's disease, those who performed the worst on the
driving test were those who had the lowest scores on tests of visual
processing speed, motion perception, sensitivity to visual contrast and speed
of movement.

###

The study was supported by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders
and Stroke and the National Institute on Aging.