Back in 1995 we had a wonderful person help us all and his name was
Alan Bonander. An award was created post-humously and I was a
recipient of that award. I'll never cherish the award as much as we
cherished the person.

It will do you all good to get to know Alan and the best way is to
read his contributions in a most gentle honest way.

Touch the Brain, Never the Same will give you insight where we have
been and where we are going and the struggles we have overcome and
the success and failures on Parkinsn. His posting is here:

http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/parkmail5/1995a/msg00602.html

How did we get from there to here?

Technology has improved and support from the government was necessary
to pay for the tests and surgery to prove its safety and veracity. If
the U.S. Social Security System hadn't stepped forward to prove the
new technology it never would have happened. Progressive countries
social programs permit patients who need them access to the proven
devices. Neurosurgery and movement disorder research have been
compounded. Side Effects are showing the way for new uses in other
neurological and psychiatric conditions.

Countries in the developing world don't have the support of their
governments so that neurosurgons and movement disorder neurologists
can develop a system and rhythm for successful outcomes. Until a team
has performed at least 100 surgery the patients are the guinea pigs.

Persons with neurological and medically untreatable psychosis have
'lightning in a bottle', their brain. The discordant noise
cancelation in neurostimulators can cancel the noise of neurons
misfiring through programing, restoring order to chaos.

The targeting areas to achieve desired effects is being discovered
with increasing frequency and their relationship to other structures
is being understood.

Micro-electrode Record or Not?

Back in the days when pallidotomy was in the vogue it was a 7-9 hour
procedure with your Leiksel frame bolted to the table when
micro-electrode recording was done. All the major teaching hospitals
were warning against going to a neurosurgeon who just used the Brain
Atlas to map the coordinates of the target. Of course those who
didn't use micro-electrode recording didn't require 7-9 hours of
operating room time. Subsequent studies have not validated the
micro-electrode approach as necessary for a successful outcome. Upon
implant, the team is able to preprogram the stim to get the results
desired before the patient leaves the OR.

Now days, the stereotactic frame is becoming replaced with plastic
tailor made skull caps which do not require the patients head to be
immobilized making it much more comfortable for the procedure.

The newest neurostimulators announced this year also have added
capabilities not before had, the ability to adjust current which will
open up avenues for programming and a better understanding of how the
different regions of the brain communicate and perhaps open the door
for new conditions.

Dr. Miguel Nicolelis at Duke has discovered that some movement
disorders can be managed with a neurostimulator implanted in the
Spine. Putting a severed spinal cord back together electronically is
next. Those muscles and organs are just waiting for a signal from
home to come back to life.

Duodental infusion recently made the news, Alan Bonander had already
been there, done that....in 1995.

History is made by those who fear not.

John Cottingham