John thomas BAps MR

From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Marais
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Researchers find brain cell transplants help repair neural damage

A Swiss research team has found that using an animal's own brain cells
(autologous transplant) to replace degenerated neurons in select brain areas
of donor primates with simulated but asymptomatic Parkinson's disease and
previously in a motor cortex lesion model, provides a degree of brain
protection and may be useful in repairing brain lesions and restoring
function.
"We aimed at determining whether autografted cells derived from cortical
grey matter, cultured for one month and re-implanted in the caudate nucleus
of dopamine depleted primates, effectively survived and migrated," said Dr
Jean-Francoise Brunet of the Cell Transplantation Centre of Excellence for
Aging and Brain Repair who, along with colleagues, published their study in
Cell Transplantation. "The autologous, re-implanted cells survived at an
impressively high rate of 50 per cent for four months post-implantation."

While the use of neural grafts to restore function after lesions or
degeneration of the central nervous system has been widely reported, the
objective of this study was to replace depleted neurons to a restricted
brain area and to avoid both the ethical controversies accompanying foetal
cell transplants as well as immune rejection.

Researchers found that the cultured cells migrated, re-implanted into the
right caudate nucleus, and migrated through the corpus callosum to the
contralateral striatum. Most of the cells were found in the most dopamine
depleted region of the caudate nucleus. This study replicated in primates
the success the research team had previously reported using laboratory mice.

According to the researchers, the cultured cells exhibited neural progenitor
characteristics that could make them useful for brain repair.

"Our results confirm that adult brain cells can be obtained, cryopreserved
and kept in culture before being re-implanted in the donor where they
survive in vivo for at least four months," concluded Dr Brunet and
colleagues. The study has drawn considerable interest in the transplantation
community. "This is an extremely important finding because although we have
known for many years that foetal cells can be used to replace damaged
neurons their limited availability has prevented widespread use in clinical
settings," commented Section Editor Dr John Sladek, professor of paediatrics
and neuroscience at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

 http://www.popularmechanics.co.za/content/news/singlepage.asp?key=877