I haven't heard it but it's no surprise that the drug companies are
recouping profits via a captive clientele
john

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 7:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Merck & Co. issues supply warning for Sinemet and Sinemet CR

I came across this news item on the European PArkinson's Disease
Association's  website saying that there would be a world- wide shortage of
sinemet until 2011. This was posted on Oct. 19th,, but strangly I couldn't
find anything else about it since then. Has anyone heard more about it? Is
it true?
The full text is at:
http://www.epda.eu.com/news/medical_Pharmaceutical.asp#merck191009

Merck & Co., Inc issues supply warning for SinemetR and Sinemet CRR tablets
for the treatment of all stages of Parkinson's disease"Starting in late 2009
and continuing into 2011 Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited (MSD) will experience a
significant global supply shortage of SINEMETR and SINEMET CRR
(carbidopa-levodopa controlled release).
This temporary shortage is related to a change in the source of supply for
the drug and the necessary timelines needed to obtain regulatory approvals
for this supply change. It is important to note that this situation is not
due to product quality or safety issues, nor is it due to delays on the part
of individual regulatory agencies that approve this supply change.
To address the expected shortfall, Merck & Co., Inc. (Merck), the parent
company, and MSD are taking action to manage available supply of these
products through a process that primarily takes into account patient needs,
as well as availability of alternative treatments (which exist in most
markets), and contractual obligations. In accordance with analysis carried
out by Merck, some markets will get their full needs met, many will
experience a significant shortfall in their supply, and many will not get
any supply of these products.
"We know that it can be difficult for physicians to find the optimum
treatment regimen for Parkinson's patients and we know that it can be
difficult to change therapies. We apologize in advance as we know that some
physicians and patients may experience temporary challenges if therapies
need to be changed. Many countries are being asked to take reduced
allocations so that Merck and MSD can supply product to patients in
countries that have no or limited alternative treatment options. We want to
thank you for your understanding, assistance, cooperation and patience as we
do our best to put patients first from a global perspective. We want to
assure you that we are working hard to return to the level of customer
service that you expect from MSD.
We are advising other customers and stakeholders as appropriate of this
expected shortfall in those markets in which carbidopa-levodopa are marketed
by MSD or licensed to third-party partners. If there is anything further we
can do to help please do not hesitate to contact us."
Contact informationUK supply related questions that you may have should be
directed to Customer Services for emergency supply enquiries on
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = SKYPE />              +44 (0) 1992 462094
+44 (0) 1992 462094.
For medical information enquiries please contact the Medical Information
Department on               +44 (0) 1992 467272         +44 (0) 1992 467272.

For all other European Countries please contact the local MSD Office.
Contact details can be found at the following link:
http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html