Urate is the anionic (negative) of uric acid, which is a common metabolite
of a variety of nucleosides.  There are clinical trials currently under way
 to see if consumption of inosine (which is already available as a
nutritional  supplement) can lead to elevated blood levels of urate.  Check
clinicaltrials.gov for more information.

There are legitimate concerns about the safety of high levels of urate in
the bloodstream.  In particular, this is believed to cause gout.  I  think I
might prefer to have gout than PD.

Wilson DeCamp
Leesburg, VA
(retired FDA chemistry reviewer)

In a message dated 11/26/2009 4:09:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,