What about the dice games (hazard?) in the Jean Bodel's "Jeu de St Nicolas"?  Teresa Coletti has a good article on it as well.  It might shed some light.

________________________________

From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion on behalf of Matthew Sergi
Sent: Wed 12/2/2009 2:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: One about Chester

Dear REED list,

I've been caught up on a minor point in the current EETS Edition of the
Chester cycle, and thought I'd open it up to the list.

For the Chester Passion, Mills and Lumiansky gloss the torturers' dice
rolls of "dubletts," "cator-traye," and "synnce" as three twos, three
fours, and three fives, respectively.  I've been scanning various medieval
and early modern sources and cannot figure out the source of those glosses
-- all of my sources point to "a pair," "a three and a four," and "five"
for the rolls (even though the rolls were on three dice -- I've found
other cases in which a three-die roll is referred to by a functional pair
within it, regardless of the value of the third die).

However, my instinct is still to trust Mills and Lumiansky's reading; can
anyone point me in the right direction to find further textual support for
their gloss?

Gratefully,

Matthew Sergi
Ph.D. Candidate, English and Medieval Studies
University of California, Berkeley