i find john argue's* method invaluable in helping to keep my back straight and my posture upright.

he says:

1.  focus on a distant point,

2.  calculate the no. of steps needed to reach it,

3.  and then set out to walk towards that point

4. count aloud the number or steps you take .  it does not matter if it does not agree with   your estimate
.
5. keep looking towards that point.

a fine example of external focus - simple and it works - and i find i can walk longer distances.

hilary blue

*that he demonstrated some years ago at a pan forum