Dear Patti,

It can be DIFFICULT to solve our own problems, but it can be
IMPOSSIBLE to solve the problems of our family members. The impulse
and motivation for solution has to come from within.

One VERY VALUABLE thing you can do for your daughter is to STOP
DISCUSSING HER WEIGHT WITH HER until she takes the initiative to do
so. (If you don't do this now, congratulations!)

Concentrate on her intrinsic worth as a person. Concentrate on her
strengths. Seek out and concentrate on whatever in her, and about
her, is most lovable. Banish the rest.

One of the most important and groundbreaking works on therapy and
rehabilitation is the book Focusing, by Gene Gendlin. It is available
for about $5 used from abesbooks.com or alibris.com or Amazon.
Focusing is a healing, psychological process one can learn to do,
generally with extraordinary results. Read and re-read the book, and
learn to focus (there are resources listed in the book and on the
Web), and FOCUS. It takes some practice, and often a little bit of
training. Don't worry about getting your daughter to focus. Through
focusing, if you undertake to learn really to do so, you will become
better able to relate to your daughter so that your concerns come
through better, and without your trying.

If one has a family member who can COACH one, it is a valuable thing.
But one does NOT need a family member to NAG one. Do not nag your
daughter.

Love her. Don't inflict any thoughts you have about her obesity on
her. If you do so compulsively, consider it YOUR OWN problem, and
work on yourself.

Be patient.

You will be amazed at the possibilities for happiness for both
yourself and your daughter. Human beings are capable of profound
shifts.

Remember: "God help me to change the things I can, to accept what I
cannot change, and to have the wisdom to know the difference."

Keep us posted.

And be well.

Hugs.

Diana