Subject: 	Fw: Paleography to be eliminated at King's College London
Date: 	Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:55:46 -0500
From: 	Barbara North <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	Barbara North <[log in to unmask]>

----- Original Message -----
*From:* Aden Kumler <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
*To:* Barbara North <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
*Sent:* Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:01 PM
*Subject:* Paleography to be eliminated at King's College London

Dear Barbara,

would you please send the message below to the PIMS mailing list. It
concerns a grave situation at King's College London that will be of
pressing concern to the PIMS community.

Dear Colleagues,

Please see below an email from Jeffrey Hamburger, and a letter forwarded
by him, that together summarize the terrible news regarding the
elimination of the Chair in Paleography at King's College London (the
only endowed chair in paleography in the UK) as part of a larger
financial re-organization scheme.

I hope you will take a few minutes to write a letter asserting that the
teaching of paleography is essential for the future of medieval studies
and to strongly urge Professor Rick Trainor, the Principal of King's
College, to revisit the (terrible) decision that has been taken. Please
do not delay: time is of the essence!

Letters should be sent to Professor Trainor and copied to Professor Jan
Palmowski, Head of the School of Arts and Humanities. The
relevant mailing addresses are provided in the last line below.

With my best wishes,
Aden Kumler

_Forwarded message from Jeffrey Hamburger:_

Dear colleagues,

The letter below brings bad news. I normally do not leap into such
petition drives, but in this case I think it behooves all of us to read
it and to act on it by writing a stiff letter of protest to the persons
named as quickly as possible. If you, in turn, know of other groups
(beyond Apices, whence this comes) to which this could be circulated,
please do so immediately.

Yours, Jeffrey Hamburger

King’s College London is undertaking what they call ‘strategic
disinvestment’ and have informed our colleague, David Ganz, on Tuesday
that funding for the Chair in Palaeography will cease from 31 August
this year, when David will be out of a job. This is part of a wider
context whereby all academic staff in the School of Arts and Humanities
at King’s have to re-apply for their own jobs before the 1st March. They
think this the “most humane way” of losing 22 academic posts.

King’s Chair is the only established chair in Palaeography in the UK
(held by our late members Julian Brown and Tilly de la Mare). I am,
naturally, writing on behalf of the Comite to express dismay at the loss
of the Chair but the more people who write in protest the better.

Please write to  Professor Rick Trainor, The Principal, King’s College,
The Strand, London WC2R 2LS and copy to Professor Jan Palmowski, Head of
the School of Arts and Humanities.

Aden Kumler
Assistant Professor
Department of Art History
University of Chicago
266 Cochrane Woods Art Center
5540 South Greenwood Avenue
Chicago, IL  60637
tel:  773.702.0266 / fax: 773.702.5901

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
170 St George St Ste. 810/ Toronto Ontario Canada/ M5R 2M8