Dear Colleagues -- more news about the letter-writing campaign and
petition on this topic, forwarded from the Facebook group.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Save Paleography At King's London sent you a message on
Facebook...
Date:     Thu, 4 Feb 2010 06:43:39 -0800
From:     Facebook <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Abigail Ann Young <[log in to unmask]>

Daniel DiCenso sent a message to the members of Save Paleography At
King's London.

--------------------
Subject: Letters to Save Palaeography

Dear all,

Many thanks for supporting the effort to 'Save Palaeography at King's
London'.

In addition to the Facebook Group and online Petition
(http://www.facebook.com/l/e3d05;www.petitiononline.com/spkcl10/petition.html),
please consider sending a letter by post to the Executive at King's.
Word has it that the paper letters are beginning to get through.

See the forward below from Nigel Palmer (Oxford) via Jeffrey Hamburger
(Harvard), which gives some encouraging news regarding the letters.

Best,
Dan

Forwarded by Jeffrey Hamburger

Dear Colleagues

Writing letters to save palaeography

If you hesitated about whether to write in protest at the 'strategic
disinvestment' at King's College London which will lead to the abolition
of the chair of Palaeography, with obvious consequences for the present
encumbent, David Ganz, then please write now. There is still time
(just), although it is very hard to know just when the real decisions
are made, or what the chances are. I had a very courteous reply from
Professor Palmowski, from which it was evident that he had read some of
our letters, and that they are/were reviewing the position. There have
been some very good letters. My *impression* is that the international
protest is not being ignored, so even if you are skeptical about the
chances, it is still worth trying. Trainor and Palmowski are both
scholars of repute with a background in the Humanities, so you can write
in any language (it may even increase the impact to have foreign
languages, who can know?!). The collection of signatures is also going
well, I was no. 1370 when I signed on this afternoon.

There are two lists, the second very easy to access:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&gid=303202385890 and
http://www.facebook.com/l/e3d05;www.petitiononline.com/spkcl10/petition.html

Letters (in case you haven't yet written) should be posted to:

Professor Rick Trainor, The Principal, King’s College, The Strand,
London WC2R 2LS ([log in to unmask]) and copy by email attachment to
Professor Jan Palmowski, Head of the School of Arts and Humanities

This email is just  my private initiative, but I have had a lot of
conversations over the last day or so and am aware that some people have
been hesitating. My advice is to present arguments, from your own
particular perspective, and to do so firmly and courteously, on the
assumption that something might still be achieved.

Yours,
--
Nigel F. Palmer, Professor of Medieval German, St Edmund Hall, Oxford
OX1 4AR

--
Jeffrey F. Hamburger, Kuno Francke Professor of German Art & Culture
Chair, Medieval Studies Committee

Dept. of History of Art & Architecture, Harvard University
485 Broadway, Cambridge MA 02138
--

Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
170 St George St Ste. 810/ Toronto Ontario Canada/ M5R 2M8