> My neurologist is strongly encouraging that I switch to Azilect as it has some record of slowing the progression of PD. (I'm 38 and recently diagnosed with YOPD) I'm a little freaked by all the contraindications and side effects and am having difficulty finding unbiased consistent information on the drug. Has anyone out there taken Azilect? Does it indeed slow the progression? Any thoughts or opinions?

Jen

I've been on the YOPD wagon for almost 3 years; my neuro agreed to have me try Azilect for a 3 month period. Didn't to a damn thing. However, I understand it's meant to be used as conjunctive therapy to l-dopa and not as a stand-alone (I was not on any form of l-dopa at the time, just GSH with supplements), so that might be the reason.

At any rate, I was subsequently relieved as the potential side-effects freaked me out as well. As a point of interest, the neuro's response [of my report back] remarked ("... yeah, that's what I've heard too").

Hope that helps you out a bit.

John