Submit Comments Now on NIH Stem Cell Guidelines

Ray
Rayilyn Brown
Past Director AZNPF

From: Diane Wyshak
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 7:43 AM
To: ray ; Dr. Kong ; don reed
Subject: Fw: Submit Comments Now on NIH Stem Cell Guidelines

----- Original Message -----
From: Parkinson's Action Network
To: Diane Wyshak
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:07 PM

     Take Action Now

            Submit Comments Now on NIH Stem Cell Guidelines

            Have Your Voice Heard on Important New Research Guidelines

            On February 23, the National Institutes of Health published technical changes to the embryonic stem cell research guidelines in the Federal Register.  Much like the guidelines that were proposed last summer, these new stem cell guidelines must go through the open Public Comment period before becoming permanent.  The deadline for submitting comments is March 25, and it is extremely important that the Parkinson's community be well-represented in the comments that NIH receives.  Much like the Public Comment period last summer, the advocacy community's voice will play an important role, so please take a few minutes to reply at the links below using the text we have supplied at the bottom of this e-mail.  Feel free to add your own personal story about living with Parkinson's disease.  Again, please note that the deadline for comments is March 25, so please submit your comments now before it's too late!

            You may submit your comments electronically by clicking on this link http://hescregapp.od.nih.gov/comments/add.htm.  The deadline is March 25, 2010.

            To Whom it May Concern:

            On behalf of the Parkinson's Action Network, I am writing to support the technical correction in the NIH Guidelines' definition of human embryonic stem cell, as proposed in the February 23, 2010 Federal Register (75 FR 8085).

            The proposed correction will clarify that lines derived from embryos up to and including the blastocyst stage are eligible for use in federally funded research, if otherwise eligible.  We believe this is consistent with President Obama's March 9, 2009 Executive Order on human embryonic stem cell research (E.O. 13505).  In addition, the proposed correction is fully consistent with the definition proposed in the draft NIH Guidelines published on April 23, 2009 (74 FR. 18578), as well as within the intent of the National Institutes of Health Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research published on July 7, 2009 (74 FR 32170).

            It is important to note that stem cell lines developed from embryos that have yet developed to the blastocyst stage may offer unique research opportunities that can enrich our understanding of cell and embryo development.  This correction will ensure that these research opportunities can be fully explored.

            Thank you for the opportunity to submit comments on this proposed technical correction to the final National Institutes of Health Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research.  We look forward to continuing to work with NIH to advance this vital research.

            If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.