Anybody knows the biological basis for the difference?

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mary Ann Ryan
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: need help with dementia diagnosis - Alan & Patti Zapf Texas

Alzheimer's dementia is unremitting.  Once it starts the person never
reverses.  In PD the dementia gets worse and then gets better, gets worse -
then better.  In my husband's case, it didn't completely overtake him,
although he never completely returned to normal.  We could still talk about
what happened yesterday or last week - in snatches.

Ultimately, it seems that death occurs in similar fashion in both diseases.
My husband slept most of the day during his last months, totally lost his
appetite and merely slipped away.  He never lost his ability to swallow -
although that is a common problem in end-stage PD, as it is in Alzheimer's.

Incidentally, with a proper toileting program my husband was continent to
the very end.
------
Mary Ann
www.bentwillowfarm.org