--- On Sat, 3/20/10, Les Combs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Les Combs <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: DBS RESULTS -- AN INFORMAL SURVEY
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 11:45 AM

I have Parkinson's disease, and I am considering DBS surgery. I have searched the Internet to try to find some statistical data about the probability of positive results versus negative results. I am coming to you for information. This is an informal survey and is not intended to be statistically significant. If I get enough responses, I will post an e-mail on Parkinson listserv.

If you have had DBS surgery, or your spouse has had it, or a person for whom you provide caregiving has had it, please respond to the following questions. Please provide only one response per patient please.

When was the DBS surgery performed?
in april 2009

Was the surgery bilateral?

yes

Did the patient show substantial improvement?

yes

Did the patient's Parkinson's symptoms become substantially worse?

no.

my balance became slightly worse,  my speech slightly more slurred.

Were the patients Parkinson's symptoms substantially the same?

no , very much improved.

If you feel comfortable doing so, would you please provide me with the name, phone number, and address of the doctor?

the refering doctor was dr zoltan mari and the surgeon was dr frederick lenz, both of johns hopkins hospital in baltimore..  since then i have relocated to madison wisconsin, where my  programming is done by nancy ninman of the university of wisconsin  hospital.

in short i feel that i have my life back.  but i must also say that i had to undergo rigorous and extensive testing to establish i was a suitable candidate for dbs surgery.

hilary blue

Please reply to this e-mail. And leave the subject line the same.

Thank you for any help you can give me.