i have come out very strongly in favour of of dbs, but i must make cleaa that it took me a long time to make up my mind - since a good friend died in 2005 after having dbs surgery. in fact i waited until the benefits of the surgery outweighed my fear of the possible risks.

and also they are requiring stringent testing in a number of fields(eg cognition, physiotherapy, balance and gait, etc) to see whether you are likely to benefit before you are even considered for the surgery. if you are still in a good place i would not personally advise anyone to submit to the surgery.  it is brain surgery after all and carries a risk with it as does any surgery.

hilary (PD since 1973)

--- On Mon, 3/22/10, Steve Rack <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Steve Rack <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: DBS RESULTS -- AN INFORMAL SURVEY
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, March 22, 2010, 10:20 PM

> I too would welcome  an opportunity to discuss  with you the results of your surveyPlease include me in this discussion, As I have not had dbs even after 12 years of PD and my life is  not bad with good diet and exercise and good medi  management. I dont know how long  I can keep it up so eventually i may need to go for DBS.My Neuro consultant does not believe I should have dbs. He does not believe the  down side is made known as we only hear of successes andrarely about the cabbages. I dont know what to do. My quality of life is too good to risk DBS just now and I wonder if with the right medication and supplements and good lifestyle management disciplines. I can continue to maintain a good quality of life at least for another few years and avoid the risk of being a statistic for DBs on the negative side.
> BEst Wishes
> Shekhar Nagarkar Age 62, diag 50,

I'm with you Shekhar,
I was diagnosed five years ago and am almost unmedicated save a handful of supplements and benztropine, an anticholinergic. The few people I've met who are "wired" all seem like they are worse off than I am. BUT, every one of them say they are glad they have the DBS. Perhaps I need to look in the mirror sometime :-)
BTW I am also disappointed by the tone of the Glutathion discussion. This list has always been a friendly and emotionally safe place. I hope we continue as such.
-- Steve in VT