Dear Kathleen, I myself find hospital beds uncomfortable. My son is in a waterbed. The head does not go up, but the water moves around and provides a softer base for the bones, and you can use a pillow to build it up at the head. In the hospital, you can rent either a mattress overlay or a mattress with circulating air. They may provide it for free. A pump at the base of the bed  runs all the time and inflates the quadrants successively. People have used these mattresses while in a coma and actually woken up and been fine after months. My son used one of these and has never had a bedsore. I prefer the waterbed, but you can't have one in a rehab setting. Pam