Katherine:

G\ad you were able to find an attorney to assist you throrugfh the appeals
process.

Your attorney should request a copy of your fuel from SSA .  Ir is vital
that you ensure that the Disability Report is updated from the date you
filed the application. it should, list not just PD bat all other medical
conditions yo have that can affect your ability to preform any work that you
have done in the past 15 tears  A claim can be awarded at steps 3, 4 or 5 of
the evaluation process. If your PD taken alone is not severe
enough sometimes other conditions looked a in combination with the PD may
point to an allowance at step 3 based on medical evidence  alone.  When your
claim is  not awarded at step 3 the examiner goes to step 4  - can you still
perform your past relevant work - your education and transferable skills are
considered.  if no award is made at steep44  then step 5 is used to
determine you ability to peform any work that exists in the US economy,  .
This is where it differs form state disability or worker;s comp - such
programs pay you for not being able to do your last job,   SSA will award if
you are unable to do any word all.  Your educational background age and past
work history are strongly considered. in a step 4 or5 decision.  Make sure
your attorney has a full description of your work history and how it would
be affected bu your medical conditions..

If your claim is medically approved up to 25% of your retroactive payment
will be withheld toward the approved portion  of his Fee.  most attorneys
have you sign a fee agreement which limits the fee to a certain amount with
exceptions,  if a fee agreement  is not used then he wail,l file  FEE
PETITION stating all his costs.  In either case the amount must be APPROVED
BY PERSON WHO MADE THE DECISION ALLOWING YOUR CLAIM. You will be notified of
the approved amount and given the right to protest if you disagree with it.

Good luck

3ess