Apologies for crossposting.  Please circulate to interested colleagues and other appropriate e-lists.

Call for Papers:  Early Drama, Art, and Music
46th International Congress of Medieval Studies
May 12-15, 2011
Western Michigan University (Kalamazoo, MI)

Two Sessions in Honor of Professor Alan Knight

In Honor of Alan Knight I:  Picturing Performance, Performing Pictures
In Honor of Alan Knight II:  Musical Thinking, Thinking Musically:  The 	Interrelationships of Musical Theory, Performance Practice, and the 	Other Arts
Organizer:  Patricia Hollahan

Early Drama, Art, and Music proposes to resume its long-standing tradition of sponsoring sessions at the International Congress of Medieval Studies by organizing a pair of sessions that emphasize the interrelationships between the pictorial and the performing arts in the late medieval and early modern periods.  Our first two sessions will be in honor of Professor Alan Knight of Pennsylvania State University, a distinguished scholar, editor, and teacher of medieval French drama.

Session I will be devoted to the topic "Picturing Performance, Performing Pictures."  The session will focus on the nature of the reciprocal relationships between dramatic ekphrasis – the rhetorical trope that employs dialogue and other verbal means to describe or create visual elements on the stage – and the iconographic conventions of various visual media that allowed medieval directors, performers, and audiences to picture an imagined material world that is implicit (but invisible) in the language of the script.  The organizers wish to emphasize the multidisciplinary aspects of early performance practices and invite submissions exploring any aspect of the verbal-pictorial dialectic.

Session II will be devoted to the topic "Musical Thinking, Thinking Musically:  The Interrelationships of Musical Theory, Performance Practice, and the Other Arts "  The session will focus on exploring the ways in which music was involved with the other arts:  songs in dramatic production, as a vehicle for presenting poetry, and as the subject matter for paintings.  Understanding how music and musical performance interacted with the other arts is crucial for our perception of the place of all the arts in society.  In keeping with the interdisciplinary approach of Professor Knight, we invite submissions that explore the relationship between music and the other arts.

Please submit your abstract by 15 September 2010 to:
Patricia Hollahan
Western Michigan Univ.
Medieval Institute Publications
1903 W. Michigan Ave.