Organizers for the following MRDS sponsored sessions at the International
Medieval Congress at Kalamazoo (May 12-15, 2011) are still entertaining
proposals from potential participants. Both are roundtables. Deadline: Sept
15, or as soon as possible!
*
Lighting the Flame: Teaching Early Drama in the Undergraduate Classroom – A
Roundtable*

Most students’ introduction to early drama, either medieval or early modern,
occurs in the undergraduate classroom, often in a survey course. This
session seeks to illuminate varied approaches and pedagogies by which we can
excite in the next generation an interest in these texts and performances.
Topics may treat issues of text and context, performance, use of technology
and the web, adaptation and translation, the treatment of early drama in
literature anthologies, and the challenge of keeping early non-Shakespearean
drama in the curriculum. Discussions of medieval and early modern
(non-Shakespearean), British and Continental drama are invited. Please send
proposals to Gloria Betcher ([log in to unmask])

*Follow up to Chester 2010: What did we learn? – A Round-table *
In May of 2010, the University of Toronto hosted the Chester 2010
Performance Experiment and Symposium, in which, over three days, a cast of
over 300 from over twenty institutions performed all twenty-three plays on
pageant wagons at three viewing stations around Victoria College. The text
was an adaptation/reconstruction of the 1572 version of the cycle, which
Protestant preacher Christopher Goodman demanded be banned, because of the
plays’ Catholic nature. The symposium also featured academic papers related
to the Chester cycle. This round-table panel is an opportunity for us to
discuss more fully how this performance experiment affected our
understanding of the cycle, the 1572 context, and the nature of performing
these plays in our time. Proposals for short presentations from those
present are invited, as we would like to encourage varied viewpoints and
discussion. Please send proposals to Carolyn Coulson-Grigsby (

--
Carolyn Coulson-Grigsby
MRDS Secretary/Treasurer