"Stem Cell Research Legislation Likely Stalled Until After Midterm Elections"

frm: Medical News Today 9/20/2010

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/201654.php

"Senate Democrats on Thursday reiterated their support for legislation that would allow federal funding for embryonic stem cell research but said there is little time for debate or other action on such measures this year, CQ Today reports...

"...After Thursday's hearing, subcommittee Chair Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) said that work on any legislation "would take some debate and time, and we just don't have it" this year, adding, "It's not going to happen before the [midterm] election" in November. Harkin also said, "We've come too far [on the issue of embryonic stem cell research] to give up now." He added, "If we don't win this battle in the courts, we'll have to take it up in Congress. This research must continue" (CQ Today, 9/16).

"Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) said that Congress "had better get busy and had better act on this subject so we do not wait for court action" (Abrams, AP/Boston Globe, 9/17). Specter on Monday introduced a bill (S 3766) that would update guidelines on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research and undo Lamberth's ruling (Women's Health Policy Report, 9/14)."

"...In the House, Reps. Michael Castle (R-Del.) and Diana DeGette (D-Colo.) have introduced a bill (HR 4808) to ensure the availability of federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. A spokesperson for DeGette said that several House members have responded to DeGette's recent call for support of the bill and asked to sign on as co-sponsors. The bill likely will not come to a vote until after the midterm elections, an aide said (CQ Today, 9/16). "