  Actually, the Freemans (on p. 262 of their /John Payne Collier/; see
my previous e-mail) mention the Middleton epitaph on Burbage as a
forgery.  Specifically, they mention it as being one of five "novelties"
for which Collier gave no location or source in his /New Facts Regarding
the Life of Shakespeare/ (1835), and which have never been seen since
then, so that "posterity has judged them to be fabrications".  Collier
did say that he found the Middleton epitaph on Burbage "in a MS
miscellany of poetry belonging to the late Mr. Heber", but such a poem
has never been found in the Heber MSS.  Nungezer was somewhat credulous,
and his "Dictionary of Actors" includes a number of items described by
Collier that are now thought to be forgeries.

Dave Kathman