Hello Dave,

I continue to be impressed by what a great amount of information you have at your fingertips.  Thank goodness you’re in theatre history, where you’re sorely needed, rather than off in some other discipline.

Bill

From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Kathman
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fwd: a question for REED-L

Actually, the Freemans (on p. 262 of their John Payne Collier; see my previous e-mail) mention the Middleton epitaph on Burbage as a forgery.  Specifically, they mention it as being one of five "novelties" for which Collier gave no location or source in his New Facts Regarding the Life of Shakespeare (1835), and which have never been seen since then, so that "posterity has judged them to be fabrications".  Collier did say that he found the Middleton epitaph on Burbage "in a MS miscellany of poetry belonging to the late Mr. Heber", but such a poem has never been found in the Heber MSS.  Nungezer was somewhat credulous, and his "Dictionary of Actors" includes a number of items described by Collier that are now thought to be forgeries.

Dave Kathman