Thank you, Peggy, for making this effort to enhance people's understanding of 'our friend'. For your records, I am 57, diagnosed in 2001 at age 48.

PAIN QUESTIONNAIRE

1. Do you have pain that accompanies or is a result of your Parkinson's
symptoms?

___ Yes ___ No

I would like to say that I really don't feel that much pain, by my own definition, but I do feel a lot of discomfort resulting from my PD.

2. Where is your pain located? (Please be as descriptive as possible)

For example: Headache - temple area or
or writhing of lower leg muscles.

I have severe tightening of the muscles in many areas of the body. Constant stiff neck and shoulders, toes that curl up tight, leg cramps, upper and lower, and back ache after sitting at a table, desk, or piano.

3. Does the pain get disabling enough that you take medication or do some
other therapy for relief?

Yes

If yes, give details; e.g. yes; I take 2 Tylenol for my headaches. Or yes; I
have physical therapy twice a week.

I get therapeutic massage, but I can only afford it one or two times per month. Certain yoga poses and exercises are very helpful, and I never stop stretching. Exercise also helps me counteract the stiffness.

4. How long have you been diagnosed with Parkinson's?
____ days ____ months ____ years

9 years.

5. Do you believe, or has your doctor told you that the pain is due to your
Parkinson's?

___ Yes ___ No

Example, if yes:
Yes - I have dystonia due to dyskinesia in my feet.

I observe that my symptoms are due to Parkinson's

6. Do you believe or have you been told the pain is due to a medication you
have taken long term for Parkinson's?

No, except for the emotional pain that comes when I sleep through another appointment due to my drug stupor and depression.

7. On a scale of 1-5 (with 5 being the most severe), how would you rate your
pain most of the time?

1 ___ 2 ___ 3 ___ 4 ___ 5 ___

Judging by what I know to be the worst in can get, I rate my discomfort as 3. Today I am very uncomfortable, but I know that as the disease progresses, someday I'll long to feel as good as I do today.

8. Have you been told that you have or have you ever been diagnosed with
any of the following (if associated with your site of pain) ? Check all that
apply:

Fibromyalgia ____ Dystonia ____ Severe dyskinesia ____

Degenerative disc disease or herniated disc _____ Arthritis _____

Spinal cord injury ____ Spinal stenosis ____ Scoliosis _____

None of the above _____

I have mild to moderate dyskenesia and a touch of arthritis in my right hip, from a bicycle accident in 2006.

Comments?

I have tried to give clear answers using this email message. I think there may be a better format for people to mark their answers, using things like clickable buttons, comment boxes, and things like that. Once again, thanks for your efforts.

Rick McGirr