Karol:

PD is very much a designer disease and although each of us will likely see
most of the symptoms eventually, they will show up at different times in
each of  our disease progression's and affect each of us with different
intensities. The  effect of the different medications available  also varies with
each  individual although it is generally conceded that Sinemet is the 'gold
standard'  addressing more symptoms for more people than any other. But it
has an eventual  downside for most PWP and that is the onset of Dyskinesia
after an individual's  drug limit is reached (observe Michael Fox for
example). This limit varies  with everyone and I don't think it can be
pre-determined but for most PWP  it takes a number of years of increasing doses at ever
shortening  intervals.

Mirapex is one of a family of drugs called Dopamine  Agoniststs. Another
would be Requip. Both usually produce the same PD  mitigation results but
sometimes have different side effects for  different PWP's. I took Requip for
the first 5 years (as I recall) and quit  because I had constant edema in my
legs. I am a PWP, not an MD so you  have to take my rambling as being
unofficial, but it is my understanding  that current practice is to start with a
Dopamine Agonist to postpone or delay  the start of Sinemet and stay with the
Agonist until something (side  effect, inefficiency) requires you to  switch
to Sinemet.

Here's some info from Wikipedia:

_Dopamine agonist -  Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_agonist)

The Parkinson List Serv is a good way to keep current. There are other
sites you can join at no cost to keep getting updated. Let me know if you would
 like a list

Paul

In a message dated 12/2/2010 02:00:19 Eastern Standard Time,