> Are there any medication that can help the "voice problems"?  In particular, my voice is getting much lower and my throat hurts after talking (even softly) for 20 minutes.  Does speech therapy help?

Not sure about speech therapy, although many people swear by the LOUD system.

Personally, I've had quite good results by taking a capsule of tumeric three times a day (or sprinkling a half teaspoon on my food). The results are enough to facilitate going from "0" (a hoarse whisper) to being able to have a telephone conversation, or being able to speak with enough clarity to those around me not having to say, "What..?" every few words/

It has the benefit of being an anti-oxidant as well.

~