January 2011 Monthly Message

From: Parkinson's Action Network
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:31 PM
To: Rayilyn Brown
Subject: January 2011 Monthly Message

           PAN Joins Class-Action Lawsuit Against Medicare
            The Medicare Improvement Standard is not found in any law or regulation, but patients can be denied coverage for their important therapy services because of it.  Because this issue affects many in our community, the Parkinson's Action Network joined a class-action lawsuit today against the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees Medicare to remove the Improvement Standard measurement. Read more.

           FDA Approves DaTscan Imaging
            The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved DaTscan, a new radiopharmaceutical agent used for brain imaging.  With FDA's approval, the Parkinson's community now has an available brain imaging technology that can help in the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. Read more.

           Letter from Merck About Sinemet
            Because of proposed changes with the manufacturing supply source and Merck's regaining of marketing and distribution rights to Sinemet, Merck has notified the Parkinson's community that, while doubtful, there could be temporary supply issues in the United States early this year.  Learn more about this issue, and read a letter that Merck sent to PAN detailing steps being taken to avert a shortage. Read more.

           Register for the PAN Forum Webcast
            Join us on February 28 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. ET for the 2011 Research & Public Policy Forum Webcast.  Register now for this free event as we put education and advocacy to work! Read more.

           Parkinson's in the Media
            View recent news articles regarding issues important to our community. Read more.

       If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.