We're in the beginning stages of planning this year's Inkshed meeting
in Fredericton, NB on May 31, the day after the CASDW (Canadian
Association for the Study of Discourse and Writing) ends, and we'd
like to invite Inkshed members, former members, and others interested
in issues related to research and teaching writing in Canadian
contexts to attend.

Registration
To register, email me at [log in to unmask] I'll create an
email list of those who are interested in attending and we'll go from
there. Registration is free to members; non-members are welcome and
whatever fee we ultimately charge will only be to cover food costs for
lunch and coffee.

Program
The initial plan will be to follow the format of last year's one-day
conference. Sixteen people attended, and the program emerged from
email discussions held amongst those who planned to attend. This was a
"working conference": the focus was on discussion and exchange, with
presentations used sparingly and as a way to prompt discussion. This
year we also have ideas that were proposed at last year's meeting:
What counts as research/Scholarship: Session at next conference people
presenting the theoretical perspective for looking at this—statement
from CASLL, CASDW, and CWCA on “Teaching and Scholarship in Writing
Studies”—audiences: inside Writing Studies plus administrators,
committees in other disciplines that Writing Studies work in:
Intellectually rigorous, theoretically-based, inter-disciplinary,
Canadian context;

EAL/ESL relationship to Writing Studies: a discussion

Another topic exchange/development discussion for research projects
that participants are working on. Last year at least three of the
projects discussed at this meeting were submitted for SSHRC Standard
Research Grants and the PIs found the session useful to them as they
developed their proposals

These are, of course, only ideas and those who indicate an interest in
attending this year's conference will ultimately decide what we spend
our time working on.

The CASLL AGM
Action items identified at the end of last year's meeting included the
following:
Future of the Inkshed (online discussion began and will culminate in
CASLL AGM meeting at this conference)
Do it again next year in this format (this message starts that process)
Keep the google group private; put a link on the Inkshed website (did
keep it private; no link put up)
Contact Russ to move it or take it over (we have established a site
called inkshed.ca that is independent of a university and copied the
files to that site)
Contact Patricia G-P re. budget (budget account has been transferred
to Brock MacDonald; new memberships have been solicited; the Board
will be elected at the AGM).

We'll schedule the AGM during the day sometime--it will be up to the
conference participants to decide exactly when. Only members will be
allowed to attend that session, however.

Membership
To become a member, please send $40 membership dues f($20 for grad
students) to Brock MacDonald at the address below.  Make your check
out to CASLL, or in full, the Canadian Association for the Study of
Language and Learning.

W. Brock MacDonald
Director, Academic Writing Centre
Woodsworth College, University of Toronto
119 St. George Street
Toronto, ON   M5S-1A9

I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in New Brunswick.

Roger

Roger Graves
Director, Writing Across the Curriculum
http://www.ualberta.ca/~graves1/