Hi Graham, Roger, Jane, Doug and others

I'm going to run this up the flagpole now.  To my mind the value of Inkshed conferences has primarily been in two areas: in the emphasis on teaching, first, and second, on collegiality, especially among the many of our colleagues in this field who are not tenured, full-time, research-focused, but are passionate and committed and knowledgeable and curious about writing.

I don't think we need another conference for talking heads, or for the dissemination of research except as that work is thought through and addressed in terms of practice at the meeting place of writing and learning.  I've been struggling for years to get writing studies acknowledged, but admit defeat in being able to get writing teaching acknowledged as important enough to invest dollars in full-time faculty.  Yes, progress is being made here and there, with programs and degrees and even graduate degrees, but most of what university and college students know about writing (and the standards by which they are judged in their history, psychology, English literature, sociology etc courses) is unchanged since it was carried aboard the ark.

But maybe we need to bury Inkshed (and have a damn' good wake) before we can reinvent it. Let's talk about it.

Susan

Susan Drain, PhD
Professor
3M Teaching Fellow