Janet...My husband had DBS almot 3 yrs ago at North Shore Univ Hospital. We live in CT, but no hospital in CT did the surgery. His local neurologist highly recommended North Shore. His surgeon was Dr. Mogilner, and neurologist was Dr. Michael Pourfar. I was impressed with both of them. He did have to undergo a neuropsych evaluation before the surgery. He had it for similar reasons...medication not working and frequent episodes of complete freezing. It did take some time to find the right settings for the DBS, but it gave him back mobility. He no longer has freezing and his dyskinesias are minimal. We are lucky now that there is a new neurologist/programmer who just came to our area, and she has really fine-tuned him. His speech is not so good, but he had Pneumonia twice which seemed to affect his voice. Some of the NY City hospitals do the surgery, but you are fortunate to live so close to North Shore. Best of luck if you go through with it. Discomfort and pain were minimal.

Hope

-----Original Message-----
From: gervase81 <[log in to unmask]>
To: PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 2:00 am
Subject: DBS

I am writing for some advise and support. I am 58 and have been
iagnosed for 10 years. I was taking sinemet 4x day 25/250 and comtan
00 mg 4x. My doctor recently changed me to stalevo 200mg. 5x per day.
y dyskiniseas on all the medications are getting bad and my on time is
etting less and less.  If lucky I might get 2 hours of on time between
ach dose.  When tired or under stress sometimes the medicine doesn't
ven work.  My doctor is recommending DBS but I don't know what to do.
 live on Long island outside of Manhattan.  My question is, has anyone
ad the surgery and did it help?  What is everyone's experience with
he surgery?   I     plan on getting a second opinion can anyone
ecommend someone in this area?  My movement disorder doctor and the
urgeon are associated with North Shore University Hospital.  By the
ay, I am still working as a teacher but think I will have to give it
p shortly.
Janet
o sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
n the body of the message put: signoff parkinsn