Jackie and all - I'm trying to write an app for DBS - some kind of logging program to give the programmers a clear view of what is happening and when its happening.  It is my hope that there is a way to smooth out the long road of getting the programming sorted.  I'd love to hear some feedback from you all - what things would be helpful to track during this process etc...Equally - if it would NOT be helpful to track symptoms etc.  Any input at all much, much appreciated!  Thanks, Meg

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackie Christensen <[log in to unmask]>
To: PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, Mar 24, 2011 1:01 am
Subject: Re: DBS

At the risk of sounding self-serving, I am going to recommend my book, "Life
ith a Battery-Operated Brain: A Patient's Guide to Deep Brain Stimulation
or Parkinson's Disease." It follows my journey from evaluation to living
ith the device years after surgery. I surveyed 55 others who'd had DBS so
t includes info from their experiences too. I wrote it because there isn't
uch written from a patient's perspective FOR patients. Anyway, I've gotten
 lot of good feedback that it's been helpful. YOu can probably find it at
our library to see if it would be helpful. If you want to buy it, you can
et it on Amazon or at www.lifewithbobbook.com. Your situation sounds very
imilar to mine. DBS has been a godsend for me but is definitely not for
veryone. It also is NOT a cure and doesn't halt progression of the disease.
nother great resource is www.dbs-stn.org, a website run by The Parkinson
lliance.
 call me if you'd like: 612-325-0372.
Best wishes,
Jackie Hunt Christensen
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am writing for some advise and support. I am 58 and have been diagnosed
 for 10 years. I was taking sinemet 4x day 25/250 and comtan 200 mg 4x. My
 doctor recently changed me to stalevo 200mg. 5x per day.  My dyskiniseas on
 all the medications are getting bad and my on time is getting less and less.
  If lucky I might get 2 hours of on time between each dose.  When tired or
 under stress sometimes the medicine doesn't even work.  My doctor is
 recommending DBS but I don't know what to do.  I live on Long island outside
 of Manhattan.  My question is, has anyone had the surgery and did it help?
  What is everyone's experience with the surgery?   I     plan on getting a
 second opinion can anyone recommend someone in this area?  My movement
 disorder doctor and the surgeon are associated with North Shore University
 Hospital.  By the way, I am still working as a teacher but think I will have
 to give it up shortly.

 Janet

 To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: mailto:

--
ackie Hunt Christensen
arkinson's disease and environmental health activist and author

"What shall we choose? Violence or non violence? …We have to choose knowing
hat when we are violent to our enemies, we do violence to ourselves. When
e brutalize others, we brutalize ourselves. And eventually we run the risk
f becoming our oppressors.
- Arundhati Roy

“To answer brutality with brutality is to admit one's moral and intellectual
ankruptcy.”
- - Gandhi
o sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
n the body of the message put: signoff parkinsn