I like the blog idea for a newsletter. The existing page that Russ
directs us to could easily be reproduced as a sidebar on the front
page of the blog site, while the main space could be used for
announcements and interesting current items. The blog makes it easy
for people to comment on any of these posts. It's true that the
formerly current items and announcements sink down, but they are quite
easy to retrieve through the archives of the site - typically through
an archive index or a search box, which also appear in the blog sidebar.

So to answer Russ' question - I would say that the blog offers at
least two things:
1. An easy means to indicate the newest additions to the site,
2. An easy means to comment on items on the site.

It is also possible to use RSS with the blog so that one knows anytime
a new item has been added to the site.

ron

Ron Sheese
Department of Psychology, and