Hello friends!

I would like to suggest a free blog as a Newsletter medium.

I thought of this because I am currently in the process of setting up a
WordPress blog for another association's newsletter.

A blog would not replace the "insider" discussion on the CASLL list, but
would be a more public addition to it (unless you want to go for a
private blog that requires a subscriber's log-in to view, but that would
basically duplicate the listserv's level of privacy and lose the
benefits of having a public blog).

The CASLL list email address or its members could also be set up as a
subscriber and could automatically receive & distribute blog posts as
they are posted.

As an optional, additional form of distribution for a public blog
newsletter, setting up a Facebook "Page" (different from a Facebook
"Group") with an automatic Blog feed that mirrors the blog is useful for
a % of members who are Facebook members and who may prefer to
view/interact with a blog via Facebook.  But this need not be a feature
of a blog-newsletter.

this email got too long ... So here is the introduction to a public blog
post that contains the rest of my suggestion:

    *"WordPress blogs as organization and association newsletters."*

    A functional option today for an organization's newsletter is to set
    up a free public blog on http://wordpress.com/ or to host a
    WordPress blog on your own website (if you have one, or may
    eventually have one).

    Blogs are quite professional nowadays (no longer merely online
    diaries). They are respectable forums for academic associations. The
    Rhetoric Society of America has a blog (The Blogora) at
    http://rsa.cwrl.utexas.edu/

    Blogs are even used by many nonprofit organizations as the basis for
    free websites. See this example of a website -- the Trent Centre for
    Community-based Education http://www.trentcentre.ca/ -- you wouldn't
    even know it's based on WordPress software unless you scroll down to
    the very bottom and see the notice "proudly powered by WordPress."

    The rest of the post explains how it can work for your association,
    why WordPress is a good choice, and how it can be used to
    automatically distribute content to members who may prefer to browse
    its content or stay up to date via Facebook or other social media
    platforms rather than (or in addition to) an email subscription to
    your blog.

Read more at http://edurhetor.wordpress.com/

Tania Smith

--