An interesting thread (gmail keeps all these messages together for me as one
string), but I'm starting to think there are two kinds of publications being
talked about here. "The Newsletter" as it was in the 2000s wasn't really a
newsletter (of the newsletter genre) at all. People were putting substantial
pieces in it, and it really functioned more as a quasi -journal. The
comments so far argue against using Facebook for that kind of publication,
and I think I would agree with that. Now, news and less formal writing that
I think we would associate with the genre of the newsletter really should be
transmitted via one of the new electronic genres of publication--blog, FB,
something like that. If we were starting a new writing studies organization
in Canada in 2012, would we really create a newsletter to facilitate
exchanges of information? I doubt it.

Part of the problem is generational: when did newsletters proliferate? I
associate it with the advent of desktop publishing in the early 1980s, or
perhaps it is associated with the typewriter and the spread of cheap
photocopying in the 1970s. As a medium of exchange, it is one-way: from the
authors, through the editor, to the readers. There is no liveliness to it,
no flattening of the information hierarchy, no spreading of the author
function. The "news" part of the Newsletter should migrate to a social media
site--no question about that in my mind. The extended discourse part of the
Newsletter should migrate to a publication with a more formal title, a clear
review process/notification, and an online publication format (not paper).

If we want to attract new members and if we want to take advantage of the
affordances of new technologies to support communication and interaction, we
should re-think our traditional methods of exchanging information. Among the
various advantages would be the ability to maintain a link to other
blogs/online resources such as Rachel Cayley's blog on Academic Writing:
http://explorationsofstyle.wordpress.com/author-bio/
and Tania Smith's blog, EduRhetor: http://edurhetor.wordpress.com/

The traditional Newsletter format isn't going to do that well.

Roger