Hello colleagues,

Indeed, an interesting topic!  Yes, I think the time has come to bring on
blog-shedding.  An academic blog is the perfect means to keep our community
updated, discuss issues close to our hearts, retain a history of our
conversations, and raise our global profile--all at the same time.

I'd also like to offer a few practical advantages to taking the blog route:

*•Cost.*  A basic WordPress.com blog site is free, and even the free version
offers some nice little tools and features.  It is cheap, but doesn't "look"
cheap.
*•Access.*  One person sets up the site and keeps an eye on it, but others
can serve as authors and editors--ensuring that the site is updated as often
as needed.
*•Technical expertise.*  None, really. Just eloquence and an eye for style!
 It isn't even necessary to know HTML.  (One day our distant descendants
will uncover old HTML runes and wonder what they meant.)
*•Collaboration.*  Even the most willing and selfless webmaster might one
day decide to sail to the Azores.  But a blog site doesn't require a
webmaster; in fact, it thrives on an Inkshed-style collaboration and meeting
of minds.
*•Interaction.*  I love discussions like this one, but I hate long email
threads. In the flurry of talk, good stuff soon gets buried or pushed
further and further to the right (of the screen, not the political
spectrum).  Listservs did the job when nothing else had been invented yet,
but they are really best suited for announcements or notifications: for
example, that twenty people have left outraged comments about your latest
blog post.  Blogs keep conversations in one place, allow easy response, are
searchable, and as Tania mentioned, are archivable.

Finally, some of you know that we've been having a version of this
discussion in CASDW-ACR.  We were concerned about dependence on a single
webmaster (however selfless) and/or institutional affiliation.  If someone
leaves a university or simply wants to step down, what happens to the site?
 Is it better to share the tasks of updating, announcing, and maintaining
our online image?  With these questions in mind, we're now testing a
WordPress.com site that allows us to combine static, legacy web content with
postings, updates, comments, and media like PDFs.

Cool note:  when I Googled "Inkshed," the first three hits were inkshed.ca.
  The fourth hit was
http://edurhetor.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/inkshedding-for-events/

Best,
Amanda