Although young-onset PWPs  may stand a better chance for a cure than us oldsters, I think we should make life-long plans to deal with PD without any thoughts of cures.  One thing I really wished I had done in the beginning is take exercise more seriously.  I exercised pretty much like I had done all of  my life – off and on.

We all know exercise is good for us, but it is boring.  You may want to take into consideration your family and support systems, financial situation, work or retirement status, age and progression of the disease when searching for the right plan for you.  Like PD meds, what helps one person  may not be realistic for another.

Some folks can take advantage of programs outside the home, but living alone, being 75 and 15 years into PD with DBS surgery but no meds, the Theracycle’s forced exercise helped  me to cycle  3 hours a day for a month now, something I could never do on my own.  I watch TV while I  do it.

Like my other slower machine, it “clears my head” and  I generally have more strength, although I still have pain when I move.  Since progress is kind of like disease progression (its hard to tell when it happens), I am judging it by what I can do I couldn’t do before Theracycle, not how I feel.
My speech is no better – yet.

1.  sliced 2 loaves of bread
2.  dog paddled rather than walked in pool
3.  picked up dog poops with walker in backyard in AZ  heat
4.  can treadmill 10 minutes  instead of 5, 3 times a week
5.  drove car around block (I live in senior gated community)
6.  cleaned self-cleaning oven (difficult because you must stand and bend to sponge up residue in oven)

I think the oven cleaning ought to qualify me as not depressed, though angry.  This is something well people have trouble with.  For  Parkies everything is an ordeal, that you can count on.  The newly diagnosed will probably never feel better, but have a unique opportunity to make a difference in their lives with exercise.  I think it is worth a try.

Ray
Rayilyn Brown
Past Director AZNPF