John and Barbara, Do you still have the Parky penpals ? I haven't the list in a while. I have had 3 Parky pals for about 15 years 2 in Canada & 1 in Australia. I only have the 1 now. My 2 Parky pals Have died a few ago. I miss them very much. THANK YOU       Betty Cannon

---------- Original Message ----------
From: John Cottingham        <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Posting Interesting News Items to Parkinsn?
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:49:55 +0800

Parkinsn over the years has run afoul of the copyright police due to
something posted by one of our subscribers. Believe me it isn't
comfortable being in mine or Barbara's when we get the demand letters
from the attorneys and our ISP and the listserv at the University of Toronto.

We have maintained over the years that Parkinsn postings must be in
text the easiest and lowest bandwidth method. Many of our subscribers
are on dial-up across the world and their bandwidth is expensive in
their currencies.

Some but not all the world is on DSL or cable.

We store posted messages at both the University of Toronto and PIENO
(parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com) for researchers
and persons with an interest in neurological disorders.

Barbara Patterson who is the list owner-founder has had Parkinson's
for many years. Myself, John Cottingham is the administrator,
co-owner of Parkinsn and the owner of the PIENO website. Our motley
crew are members of the "Hole in the Head Gang", we both have had DBS.

Due to copyright run ins we have refrained from posting copyrighted
articles and studies.

This has restricted the usability of some of the links posted here.

Like the news sites, we are permitted through fair use to summerize
the jist of the story and give the link to the article. Email
programs do not handle long URLs well and break so they don't work
when clicked on in an email message or the PIENO archives.

The solution to the long URL is a website called http://tinyurl.com.

How do you use it?

Your browse to the article you are interested in and in another tab
enter tinyurl.com. Tinyurl will translate the long address into
something shorter. Paste that shortened URL into your email. I have
the link to tinyurl on my browser favorites bar.

When finding interesting articles look for the email this article
link. That will take you to a page with fewer ads which will make it
easier to copy the text that best describes the article. Paste that
into your email to parkinsn. Use the tinyurl to allow the reader to
read the full article.
Also preface all this with your opinion on how you view this article.
For the subject line of the email, use the article title. Following
these guidelines will make parkinsn a factual information place for the world.

The Parkinsn current and past email messages can be found at:

http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/maillist.html

If you bookmark addresses, this one will always take you to the
current messages.

The program we use to archive the messages on PIENO has been upgraded
and now the index page above includes a snippet of text to give you
an idea what the message is about. Clicking on the link of one of the
messages gives you the whole message or reply.

For those who are following threads of messages, the thread index
consolidates similar messages in topics determined by subject line.

Message Distribution

Messages received at the University of Toronto from 6 AM to Midnight
are distributed midnight Toronto time. from Midnight to 6 AM messages
sent to the listserv are distributed immediately. (Good to Know if
you are a Parkinsn subscriber used to late hours.)

Barbara and I in spite of our years appreciate you all and hope you
will over look my crankiness from time to time. :)

John Cottingham
co-owner Parkinsn
Owner PIENO