From: Will Garrett-Petts <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, August 10, 2011 9:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New Edition of Small Cities Imprint

Hi all:

We here at TRU and the Small Cities Community-University Research
Alliance are delighted to announce the latest edition of our Small
Cities Imprint:

http://smallcities.tru.ca/index.php/cura/index

MAP MY CULTURE: COMMUNITY AND SPACE IN SMALL CITIES

Where does culture – defined broadly but including values and
sensibilities and ways of living in addition to the arts – reside? Is it
in the official (typically civic-run) venues?  In the muddy
concert-ground field?  Is it in the remnants of an ancient estuarial
fishing industry or at the sealed-up pithead at Bevan Mines?  Do
cultural industries like museums and galleries stimulate or
compartmentalize creative understandings of identity and place? How are
the experiences of the Comox Valley alike and/or different when compared
with other small BC cities?

These were questions that opened the Map My Culture project.  Although
the conference title provoked a syncopated raising of eyebrows, its
meaning was immediately clear to runners and cyclists in the research
group who, familiar with the highly popular Map My Run and Map My Ride
online software, got the allusion to the play between space and
activity.  Is culture something we go to see? Where does one, as an
individual, go to engage with it? Is it something that we carry with us
along the way?  Do we take it away? What is its imprint beneath our
feet?  And, ultimately, to what extent is it a personal (and
personalize-able) phenomenon?

Hope you enjoy reading and viewing our work!

Regards,

Will

W.F. Garrett-Petts, Professor & Associate Dean
Faculty of Arts
Thompson Rivers University
900 McGill Road, Box 3010
Kamloops, B.C., V2C 0C8