Nic,
Thanks so much.  Useful tips.  I shall save it.
Prem takes one and a half teaspoons of psyllium seed husks in a glass of
water every night (a tried and tested Indian remedy).  That, plus fruit and
veg plus whole wheat chappatis seem to be working for him right now.
Moneesha

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks>