For the first time, scientists have used cloning techniques — inserting genetic material from adult cells into unfertilized human eggs — to create embryonic stem cells.   Therapeutic cloning (SCNT or somatic cell nuclear transfer) could lead to cures of countless diseases like the Parkinson’s that is slowly turning my body to stone.

Can you possibly imagine what it feels like to hear opponents of SCNT argue that these microscopic undifferentiated cells are people who should have 14th amendment rights?   Or to ban such research?  The Center for Arizona Policy has helped our very conservative state legislature do just that.  And Republican controlled state legislatures across the country are waging war on science.

The New York Stem Cell Foundation Laboratory was responsible for this advance.  We  must wait and wait for other states or countries to find a cure for  just one disease that will defeat this cruel opposition.

Rayilyn Brown
Past Director AZNPF
Surprise, AZ